Economic Development is not new to Mistawasis Nehiyawak. It has always been based on the need to provide for the community, but also driven by a better quality of living. What culturally and historically started as being keepers of the land, grew to a trading industry, and has evolved into modern day business. It was with this mindset that Mistawasis Nehiyawak started their journey to become a business ready entity that would provide financial stability as well as work opportunities for the Nation. In 2011, Mistawasis Nehiyawak made the decision to separate business from governance and applied to be part of the Business Ready Investment Development Gateway Program. The bridge program was created by INAC (Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada) and overseen by a group of board members from the private sector. The program chose a total of 9 First Nation Communities to become partners with in order to help them become business ready. Mistawasis Nehiyawak was one of the nine communities chosen to be part of the program and Misty Ventures Incorporated was created. Working from the knowledge and success of the bridge program, Mistawasis Nehiyawak was confident in their abilities to continue to grow, and in 2013 restructured. With support and guidance from the leaders of the community, a new board was created that consisted of Mistawasis Nehiyawak band members. From 2013 to 2015 with the new board in place, there was significant strategic planning, including incorporating and getting financials in order, in order to truly become a business ready entity. In January 2016, Mistawasis Nêhiyawak hired Robert Daniels to become the CEO of Misty Ventures Incorporated (Misty Ventures). From 2016 onward, Misty Ventures has created a total of 7 prosperous companies.
- Misty Petroleum a Gas Station and Café located in the town of Leask, Saskatchewan.
- Misty Burton Concrete Services was created to handle any aggregate work above ground such as concrete, gravel and topsoil.
- Misty Chemco a general contractor service was developed in order to assist with the majority of heavy industrial, electrical and instrumental projects.
- Misty Clifton Engineering an engineering firm developed to complete site testing, collect soil samples, and provide many other environmental services.
- HCC Group specializes in Contract Mining & Maintenance, Underground Bin Construction & Rehabilitation, Contract Drilling & Blasting, Road Building & Site Prep, Water & Sewer Construction and Gravel Crushing.
- miEnergy North America is an EPC service provider committed to reducing reliance on non-renewable power sources.
Each Misty Ventures subsidiary works independently of each other with its own Director/CEO to oversee the business and its progress. However, each entity reports and is directed by Misty Ventures. All companies work together as the economic development arm of Mistawasis Nêhiyawak, along with good governance and support from the community, Misty Ventures is able to provide meaningful employment to band members, financial independence for the Nation, and continues to give back and provide a better quality of living for its members. Today, Misty Ventures is truly business ready, open for business, and is always looking for new opportunities to grow and give back to the community of Mistawasis Nêhiyawak.